Here is my system for grading forums:
- 3 points for the original post if it is good (equivalent to a A or B) and it is on time.
- 2 points for the original post if it is poorly written or does not reflect critical thinking and an understanding of the topic/readings being discussed or does not answer all the questions (equivalent to a C or D) and is on time.
- 1 point if it is late no matter how good it is.
- It allows those who do poorly on papers to improve their grade by participating.
- It reinforces the seriousness of participating in the forums.